Inhaled nitric oxide
The therapeutic use of inhaled nitric oxide is based on its ability to achieve potent and sustained pulmonary vasodilation without significantly decreasing systemic vascular tone.
- Beneficial Effects of Nitric Oxide Therapy:
- Selected selective pulmonary vasodilator.
- Significantly reduces pulmonary vascular resistance and decreases elevated blood pressure.
- Improves oxygenation and blood circulation, thus favoring the right ventricular ejection fraction.
- It has been shown to be well tolerated with a low rate of adverse effects.
- It does not produce systemic hypotension due to its rapid inactivation through hemoglobin.
- Improves right ventricular function by reducing ECMO need.